Sunday, August 18, 2013

Celebrating Our Little Melons

F & C celebrated their first birthday yesterday.  We had a cookout/watermelon party. This recap is mostly pictures, so enjoy!


The easel wishing the twins a Happy 1st Birthday.  It was a small party-just my parents, M's parents, M's sister-in-law and nieces (his brother had to work), and M's aunt.


For lunch we had grilled chicken tenders, hot dogs, baked beans, corn on the cob, spinach dip and chips, and watermelon.  We also had iced tea and lemonade.

After lunch, we opened presents and played with the new toys for a little bit.  I'm not sure who was more excited--the babies or S!!

After playing, we had CAKE.  We had thought about taking the cake part outside since it was nice, but in the end, we didn't want to drag out all the chairs and high chairs. So we ended up moving the plastic tablecloth that was on the table to the floor & putting the high chairs on it.

Then we lit the candles and sang.  Except I forgot to tell everyone we were singing twice and to which baby we were singing.  So some people said both names (M) and looked at me like I was crazy when I started a second round--and then people didn't know what name to say.  haha  I guess I'll need to be specific next year.  

I made watermelon cupcakes.  It's just a yellow cake mix that I decorated to look like a slice of watermelon.  I used food coloring to make white icing green and red and piped it on with a pastry bag.
I used mini chocolate chips for the seeds.


How cute are these cupcake liners that I found at a local bakery supply store back last April!!

 Do you think they liked them?
C

F

The aftermath--actually not a lot got on the floor.

I took the babies straight to a bath and while we were in there everyone left but my parents.  They wanted to give everyone a kiss before they left.  

I asked M to make sure everyone got a treat before they left--I think a few people skipped them.  Oh well, more for me us! I made Rice Krispy watermelons in a round cake pan. Mini chocolate chips were the seeds.  I cut the "watermelon" and packaged slices in sandwich bags.  I had planned to do some printable stickers, but I started running out of time and I figured that wasn't needed.


About 30 minutes after everyone had left and the babies were in bed we realized that my parents had left some of their bags at our house. They had stayed with us a night before their 6-day vacation and then stayed a couple nights before the party.  They were able to leave from here and their car was safe in our driveway.  The bags wouldn't have been a big deal, but inside was my parents' medication. My dad is a diabetic and has complications from it and Grave's disease.  He takes A LOT of medicine.  So M & S took off on the 1.5 hour trip to return the medicine while I cleaned up the house and got a few minutes to relax before the babies woke up to play and then eat supper.

All in all, we had a great day.  I can't wait to see what happens with these little ones in the next 12 months!


1 comment:

  1. Happy First Birthday to your little ones! I love your theme, and all of the treats look super pretty. I bet the family loved doting on all three blessings. So glad it was a good day for you too mama!

    ReplyDelete